Current news ...
Exchange mail server upgrades
- ICT have been migrating mail users from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 since the summer and this means that users of POP mail clients such as pine and mail clients embedded into browsers such as Netscape and Opera will need to re-configure their software to reflect the changes. New documentation has been written for configuring pine for use with the new Exchange mail server and documentation for configuring Netscape will follow shortly.
Spam filtering with pine
- Users of pine can now enjoy spam-free email by following these instructions to configure pine to automatically move or even delete mail that has been marked by Imperial's mail system as being spam.
- A number of enhancements have been made to the Maths UNIX/Linux systems in recent months including:
- 5 new number crunchers in Maths Physics
- A new high performance server for the Maths parallel processing supercomputer
- upgrade of all open access Red Hat Linux systems to version 9.0
- upgrade of most SuSE Linux systems to version 8.2
- user disk space increased to nearly 200 GB and a new name for the Maths Physics server
- the roll-out of new HP desktop systems in the department, both on individual user's desktops and in room 212
- More information will appear here very soon.
Unix/network sys admin,
Department of Mathematics
last updated: 17.12.03