An extra storage server for SCAN
- bieberbach has joined the SCAN to provide large-scale storage for the experiemental data generated during simulations on the SCAN. With 3.6 TB of RAIDz file storage, this is a major boost to the existing 0.42 TB (420 GB) storage available on the potomac4-wicomico and potomac4-wapocomo servers. More...
Subversion (SVN) server launched
- Following requests from a number of users in the department, a subsersion server has been set up for general use. Accessible both internally and externally from outside the college using standard web access protocols, it will be useful for those who have projects that are being worked on by more than one person and tracks changes to files, allows users to check out files to be worked on and then written back to the repository when the user has finished with them in such a way that any changes made will not overwrite (or be overwritten by) another user's changes that coincidentally have been made at the same time to another copy of the same file. More...
Scratch disk issue on macomp01 now resolved
- The scratch disk mounted on /scratch on macomp01 and accessible cluster-wide as /scratchcomp01 became inaccessible sometime between the afternoon of May 24th and Thursday morning, May 26th. This was eventually resolved by rebooting macomp01 after all running jobs had terminated - it is not known why the disk disappeared completely from view of the system amd appears to have been a hardware or BIOS lockup. More...
- This is a good time to remind all users that the scratch disks on the compute cluster machines are literally just that - they are meant for temporary storage and not for long term retention of important data since none of the scratch disks are backed up in any way.
- silo was substantially upgraded on May 21st the documentation has been updated as some things have changed. You will probably have to delete the existing ssh host key for silo from your ~/.ssh/known_hosts file before connecting to it for the first time using scp, sftp or ssh as the new operating system has new host keys. More...
Older news items:
- May 26th, 2011: Reporting missing scratch disk on macomp01
- May 21st, 2011: Announcing completion of silo upgrades
- May 16th, 2011: Announcing upgrades for silo
- April 14th, 2011: Goodbye SCAN 3, hello SCAN 4
- March 26th, 2011: quickstart guide to using the Torque/Maui cluster job queueing system
- March 9th, 2011: automatic laptop backup/sync service, new collaboration systems launched
- May 20th, 2010: Scratch disks are now available on all macomp and mablad compute cluster systems
- March 11th, 2010: Introduing job queueing on the Fünf Gruppe compute cluster
- October 16th, 2008: Introduing the Fünf Gruppe compute cluster
- June 18th, 2008: German City compute farm now expanded to 22 machines
- February 7th, 2008: new applications on the Linux apps server, unclutter your desktop
- November 13th, 2007: aragon and cathedral now general access computers, networked Linux Matlab installation upgraded to R2007a
- September 14th, 2007: Problems with sending outgoing mail for UNIX & Linux users
- July 23rd, 2007: SCAN available full-time over the summer vacation, closure of Imperial's Usenet news server
- May 15th, 2007: Temporary SCAN suspension, closure of the Maths Physics computer room, new research computing facilities
- January 14th, 2005: Exchange mail server upgrade, spam filtering with pine and various other enhancements
Research Computing Officer,
Department of Mathematics
last updated: 29.05.2011