macomp00 - a new staging server for the compute cluster
- A staging server has been added to the macomp cluster so that cluster users can test programs and code without having to submit them to the main queuing system. macomp00 is set up identically to the main cluster except that it is not part of the job queuing system so test jobs can be run 'out of queue' for more than 30 minutes.
- However, it must be stressed that macomp00 should be used for test purposes only - it is not a production server nor is it based on production grade hardware; it has a single core 64-bit Pentium 4 processor and 4 Gb of memory with no scratch disk which is adequate for test runs but not for running multiple jobs.
Older news items:
- July 19th, 2011: A new Matlab queue and improved queue documentation
- June 30th, 2011: Updated laptop backup scripts
- June 18th, 2011: More storage for the silo...
- June 16th, 2011: Yet more storage for the SCAN...
- June 10th, 2011: 3 new nodes added to the Maths compute cluster
- May 21st, 2011: Announcing SCAN large storage and subversion (SVN) servers
- May 26th, 2011: Reporting missing scratch disk on macomp01
- May 21st, 2011: Announcing completion of silo upgrades
- May 16th, 2011: Announcing upgrades for silo
- April 14th, 2011: Goodbye SCAN 3, hello SCAN 4
- March 26th, 2011: quickstart guide to using the Torque/Maui cluster job queueing system
- March 9th, 2011: automatic laptop backup/sync service, new collaboration systems launched
- May 20th, 2010: Scratch disks are now available on all macomp and mablad compute cluster systems
- March 11th, 2010: Introduing job queueing on the Fünf Gruppe compute cluster
- October 16th, 2008: Introduing the Fünf Gruppe compute cluster
- June 18th, 2008: German City compute farm now expanded to 22 machines
- February 7th, 2008: new applications on the Linux apps server, unclutter your desktop
- November 13th, 2007: aragon and cathedral now general access computers, networked Linux Matlab installation upgraded to R2007a
- September 14th, 2007: Problems with sending outgoing mail for UNIX & Linux users
- July 23rd, 2007: SCAN available full-time over the summer vacation, closure of Imperial's Usenet news server
- May 15th, 2007: Temporary SCAN suspension, closure of the Maths Physics computer room, new research computing facilities
- January 14th, 2005: Exchange mail server upgrade, spam filtering with pine and various other enhancements
Research Computing Officer,
Department of Mathematics
last updated: 27.07.2011