2015: Autumn update
Quick summary: the SCAN service has restarted, another compute node & more dedicated computer servers added and another (small) Hadoop cluster for Stats
- Nearing the end of the autumn term, here's an update on Maths research computing news:
- The SCAN has restarted: following the completion of the Huxley/Blackett electrical refurbishment projects and power supplies in the building returning to normal, the SCAN computing project has restarted nightly using the 25 PCs in Huxley 410. It is hoped the SCAN can operate full time over the Christmas vacation after the term ends on December 16th.
- another compute node: macomp18 will soon be joining the Maths compute cluster offering eight very fast (3.5 Ghz) processor cores and 512 GB of memory, aimed at plugging the gap in resources for large memory serial computing jobs
- more dedicated compute servers: several private servers have been installed in the Maths server room recently to support individual group projects
- another Hadoop test cluster for Stats: a small 4 node Hadoop cluster has been set up running the latest MapR version 5.0 along with Apache YARN, Spark and Python bindings for testing and evaluating new developments in Big Data processing.
Older news items:
- September 14th, 2015: Late summer update 2
- May 2nd, 2015: Spring update 2
- April 26th, 2015: Spring update
- November 11th, 2014: Autumn update
- September 17th, 2014: Summer update 2
- July 17th, 2014: Summer update
- March 15th, 2014: Spring update
- November 2nd, 2013: Summer update
- May 24th, 2013: Spring update
- January 23rd, 2013: Happy New Year!
- November 22nd, 2012: No news is good news...
- November 17th, 2011: A revamp for the Maths SSH gateways
- September 7th, 2011: Failed systems under repair
- August 14th, 2011: Introducing calculus, a new NFS home directory server for research users
- July 19th, 2011: a new staging server for the compute cluster
- July 19th, 2011: A new Matlab queue and improved queue documentation
- June 30th, 2011: Updated laptop backup scripts
- June 18th, 2011: More storage for the silo...
- June 16th, 2011: Yet more storage for the SCAN...
- June 10th, 2011: 3 new nodes added to the Maths compute cluster
- May 21st, 2011: Announcing SCAN large storage and subversion (SVN) servers
- May 26th, 2011: Reporting missing scratch disk on macomp01
- May 21st, 2011: Announcing completion of silo upgrades
- May 16th, 2011: Announcing upgrades for silo
- April 14th, 2011: Goodbye SCAN 3, hello SCAN 4
- March 26th, 2011: quickstart guide to using the Torque/Maui cluster job queueing system
- March 9th, 2011: automatic laptop backup/sync service, new collaboration systems launched
- May 20th, 2010: Scratch disks are now available on all macomp and mablad compute cluster systems
- March 11th, 2010: Introduing job queueing on the Fünf Gruppe compute cluster
- October 16th, 2008: Introduing the Fünf Gruppe compute cluster
- June 18th, 2008: German City compute farm now expanded to 22 machines
- February 7th, 2008: new applications on the Linux apps server, unclutter your desktop
- November 13th, 2007: aragon and cathedral now general access computers, networked Linux Matlab installation upgraded to R2007a
- September 14th, 2007: Problems with sending outgoing mail for UNIX & Linux users
- July 23rd, 2007: SCAN available full-time over the summer vacation, closure of Imperial's Usenet news server
- May 15th, 2007: Temporary SCAN suspension, closure of the Maths Physics computer room, new research computing facilities
- January 14th, 2005: Exchange mail server upgrade, spam filtering with pine and various other enhancements
Research Computing Manager,
Department of Mathematics
last updated: 11.12.2015